NAB 2021 - October 9 to 13

davedv

After being canceled in 2020, NAB Show seems on track to return to Las Vegas from October 9-13, 2021 (at the moment anyway).

Proof of vaccination is required for all attendees and masks may also be required (Clark County currently requires them in indoor public spaces): https://www.radioworld.com/show-news/nab-show/nab-show-will-use-app-for-proof-of-vaxx

Despite these measures, Sony has just announced that they will not be participating in person due to the Delta variant:
https://www.sportsvideo.org/2021/09/07/sony-withdraws-from-nab-infocomm-2021/

Presumably, this means no major announcements from Sony. There are some rumors of a high end E-mount camera (something close to Venice). Which would make sense, because, if Canon does release the higher end 8K RF mount product, Sony is likely to follow suit. At some point.

I've decided not to go to NAB this year. Perhaps next April. And if I was going to attend a US expo around now it'd probably be Cinegear Sept 25-26 in LA: https://www.cinegearexpo.com

Maybe I'll attend NAB next April.

Related: looks like IBC has moved from Sept to Dec this year: https://show.ibc.org

Anyway, I think trade shows are less important to the big companies than in the past. So I could see Sony making announcements with less regard for a trade show hook. If, that is, they think they can deliver what they announce. Re: my friends waiting for their FX6 cameras. Venice seems less constrained; at least, there are a couple more around here...

I've decided not to go to NAB this year. Perhaps next April. And if I was going to attend a US expo around now it'd probably be Cinegear Sept 25-26 in LA: https://www.cinegearexpo.com

Maybe I'll attend NAB next April.

Related: looks like IBC has moved from Sept to Dec this year: https://show.ibc.org

Anyway, I think trade shows are less important to the big companies than in the past. So I could see Sony making announcements with less regard for a trade show hook. If, that is, they think they can deliver what they announce. Re: my friends waiting for their FX6 cameras. Venice seems less constrained; at least, there are a couple more around here...

Yep, still waiting on my FX6. Coming up on a year now since it was announced....

IMO, besides any profits to be made by the groups involved in running the show, these events are mostly to get together (for the human interaction) after not getting together for so long because they have no other significant purpose as YouTubers/YouTube and other websites are 1000% more effective.

The primary reason most used to go to these was to obtain information, data - and maybe some hands-on experience with certain items - but that's all in the past (at least the data).

For the curiosity sake - I wonder how many hits Sony's presser will get. If you add up the YouTubers, you get millions.

So it's basically NAB without the three major companies that make cameras for the world.

Don't worry, Olympus will hold down the fort.

tvshooter always said you were the only reason he went.

Oh man, I haven't thought about R.C. since the last time I saw him at NAB. We've had some great times in Vegas. It is so easy to lose contact with the people that you get used to seeing at least once a year -- after Covid disrupts the flow. Haven't seen K.J. for a few years at NAB, either. Are you an old B-Roll alum, too?

Yeah, we decided not to do NAB months ago. Superspreader central. We're still on for CineGear, but I'm sure it'll be vastly quieter than previous years.

Major trade shows have a lot of reasons to still exist. Many people do not follow the various internet news sites and are located in markets where it is hard to see products in person. And there is a lot of info that cannot be garnered from viewing what others present to you but instead are answers to your direct questions. It's the same reason why watching someone else's lens or camera test is fairly limited, because they were done to the parameters of interest to that person not you.

Oh man, I haven't thought about R.C. since the last time I saw him at NAB. We've had some great times in Vegas. It is so easy to lose contact with the people that you get used to seeing at least once a year -- after Covid disrupts the flow. Haven't seen K.J. for a few years at NAB, either. Are you an old B-Roll alum, too?

Yep. Same screen name there, too. I still check-in, but unfortunately it’s just a shell of its former self, even after Kevin went through the hard work and trouble of “remodeling” and maybe moving/upgrading servers. It’s a shame and kind of sad when you think back on the good ‘ole days on there and how it was “the” place to go on the Internet if you “shot TV”, and now it’s all but forgotten, today.

I usually see RC at least once or twice a year and we text and talk some. As a matter of fact, I just talked to him about a week ago, giving him a heads-up about some tech issues with a client. Which ended up being “great timing”, because they hadn’t told him about the issue, so he was going to be stepping into the proverbial cow pie the next day.

Yep. Same screen name there, too.

Of course!! How did I never make that connection that you were the same person? There were some epic discussions/arguments over on B-Roll and no snowflakes to get their panties in a bunch over the smallest things. Working professionals.

Yep. It was a different time and place, for sure. Everyone had thicker skin. It came with the territory, if you worked in TV back then. If someone called you an a-hole, you usually took it as a complement and carried on.

One of the first websites I discovered right after college was B-roll. After you got your TV production degree and went to work as a news photog/editor at some small shop, you’d always have that site on the computer in the photog’s lounge. Mainly used to look for a job in a bigger market with higher pay :thumbsup:. But lots of good tips on shooting too. Used to be the first site I went to any day I logged on. But not much there any longer.

NAB 2021 reminds me of last year when NAB announced they would implement a 'No handshake' policy in an effort to keep the show open. Hilarious looking back on it. .... it was hilarious when they announced it as well.

Back